MMIA needs volunteers in all areas of our organization. Where can you help? Start volunteering by downloading and completing the MMIA Volunteer Application. We have lots of opportunities in and out of the office.
Can you commit yourself to four hours per week or once or twice a month? We would like our office to be staffed during regular business hours, which requires 20 volunteers per week in four-hour segments: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. or 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
You do not need office or computer experience; there are plenty of non-computer-related duties to be done. MMIA appreciates any time, effort, skill or experience you can commit. We want you to enjoy your time and we want you feel like you are making a contribution to our cause. If there are things you do not like to do or don’t want to do, please let us know. These are some of the things that can be done from the MMIA office.
- Answering the phone
- Compiling, stuffing and mailing printed information for our public outreach
- Computer-related: entering information into Excel spreadsheet (doesn’t take a lot of knowledge, it’s a reasonably simple process, as long as computers don’t frighten you, you can do it!)
- Calling, emailing or writing company to request they send promotional materials to be used at MMIA events golf such as golf tournaments and our deployed troops.
- Organizing and packing materials for our deployed troops into boxes for shipping; completing customs forms for the shipments.
- Personalizing and sending out office correspondence and mailings.
- Researching media outlets and entering them into email distribution list.
- Keeping our various scrapbooks current
- Writing thank you notes
- Schedule speaking engagements for Mike Dorman and Board of Director and Board of Advisors using the in-office calendar.
- Research organizations who might be interested in the work of MMIA.
- Sending coupons to military bases overseas (packing them in boxes, label them with appropriate address, taking them to the post office and mailing)
OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
- Help set up and staff booths for public outreach. Examples: Jawbreaker fights, gun shows, community fairs. We are there to pass out materials and answer questions and sometimes are able to have a “bucket” to collect donations.
- Lend specific experiences and talents to any of a number of committees and teams (website, promotional materials, Facebook page, bookkeeping/finance, auditing, grant writing, golf tournaments, scrapbooking).
- Enlist and coordinate your business, community or church group in activities which help in the construction process, raise funds and raise public awareness.
- Help organize fundraising events which can be done by individuals or groups: Bake sale, lemonade or hot chocolate stand, collect change, car wash, auctioning of items, special dinners, lunches or breakfasts.
- Companies and individuals donate a variety of items to Military Missions In Action from money to bathtubs to golf clubs to furniture. Some of it we use, some of it we donate to veterans, and some of it we sell and use the money for our organization’s work. We could use people who are willing to pick up these items.
- Whether or not you have a construction skill, help is always needed whether we build a wheelchair ramp or completely remodel a home. Sometimes just being responsible for getting workers lunch or helping with light physical activities are ways you can help. Each project requires both skilled and unskilled volunteers.
- Computer data entry: At public outreach events, we collect names and addresses of people who express an interest in MMIA. We need these names compiled in a database, and this is something that could be done at our offices or in the comfort of your own home using Excel. You will be given a template and when you finish entering the information, you can just email it to us or save it to a CD and we will download it to our universal database.
If you would like to volunteer, please complete the volunteer form and submit to Mendy Lesher at email@example.com. If you wish to talk with Mendy first, please call her at 919-552-1603 to discuss your areas of interest. Mendy will pass your name and contact information on to the person in charge of the area(s) of your interest.
Click here to download the MMIA Volunteer Application.