MMIA needs volunteers in all areas of our organization. Where can you help? Start volunteering by downloading and completing the MMIA Volunteer Application. We have lots of opportunities in and out of the office.
**We do NOT have volunteer opportunities outside of business hours (9am-5pm), with the exception of project job sites and community events**
CURRENT NEEDS (as of 04/26/17):
The following programs need a consistent volunteer to head and maintain them, as well as the ongoing need for volunteers to assist the head volunteer during “busy season”.
- Homeless Veteran Stand Down Materials Coordinator. This volunteer will organize health and hygiene items as well as various inventory that will be given out at HVSDs throughout the state. Includes preparing packs to hand out. Minimum commitment of about 2 hours a week, up to about 8 hours in busy season (end of summer-fall).
- Care Package Materials Coordinator. Basically the same as HVDS, only a wider variety of items to keep track of and prepare items more frequently. Minimum commitment of 2 hours a week, up to 10 depending on inventory to ship.
- Homes For Healing Inventory Coordinator. Organize and prepare donated household items to be delivered to formerly homeless veterans. Bonus is you are able to help with delivery! Minimum commitment of 4 hours a week.
- Furniture Pick-up and Delivery. Be a part of the team that collects and distributes furniture to formerly homeless veterans currently living in empty homes. A very rewarding position!! Requires ability to bend, lift, cary, climb stairs, and be physical for 2-3 hours at a time, 2-3 times per week. Think of it as a free gym membership with good karma.
OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
- Events. Help set up and staff booths for public outreach, such as the Freedom Balloon Festival, Bikefest, gun shows, and community fairs. We are there to pass out materials, answer questions about MMIA, and usually have a raffle.
- Office Staffing: Can you commit yourself to four hours per week or once or twice a month? We would like our office to be staffed during regular business hours, in four-hour segments: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. or 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Lend specific experiences and talents to any of a number of committees and teams (website, promotional materials, Facebook page, bookkeeping/finance, auditing, grant writing, golf tournaments).
- Enlist and coordinate your business, community or church group in activities which help in the construction process, raise funds and raise public awareness.
- Help organize fundraising events which can be done by individuals or groups: Bake sale, lemonade or hot chocolate stand, collect change, car wash, auctioning of items, themed dinners/lunches/breakfasts, 5k, community yard sale, etc .
- Companies and individuals donate a variety of items to Military Missions In Action from money to bathtubs to golf clubs to furniture. Some of it we use, some of it we donate to veterans, and some of it we sell and use the money for our organization’s work. We could use people who are willing to pick up/transport these items.
- Whether or not you have a construction skill, help is always needed whether we build a wheelchair ramp or completely remodel a home. Sometimes just being responsible for getting workers lunch or helping with light physical activities are ways you can help. Each project requires both skilled and unskilled volunteers.
If you would like to volunteer, please complete the volunteer form and submit to Marilyn Spencer at email@example.com. If you wish to talk with Marilyn first, please call her at 919-552-1603 to discuss your areas of interest.
Click here to download the MMIA Volunteer Application.